favn banner

FAVN Report Form Instructions

This video will assist you in correctly filling out the F-A-V-N or FAVN report form for pet travel to rabies free countries and islands.


What You Need to Know about Traveling with Pets

The FAVN test is required by many rabies-free countries or regions in order for dogs and cats to qualify for a reduced quarantine period prior to entry. Some of these regions are Hawaii, Japan, Korea, Australia, Guam, New Zealand, and some islands in the Caribbean. Always check with the destination authority to verify pet importation requirements.

Due to continued staffing shortages, the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory will not be able to perform expedited STAT testing effective immediately. This temporary discontinuation is for STAT testing ONLY.

Due to supply shortages the FAVN test is taking 7 to 8 weeks from date received until the test status is Finalized.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you have questions, please call the KSVDL Rabies Laboratory at 785-532-4483.

About the FAVN Test and FAVN Report

The Fluorescent Antibody Virus Neutralization (FAVN) test measures the response of an animal’s immune system to the rabies vaccine. More specifically, it is a virus neutralization assay developed to screen animal sera by a standard method for an adequate level of rabies antibodies following vaccination. A completed “FAVN REPORT FORM” is required for each sample submitted for the rabies blood serum test. The rabies antibody titer results are placed on an adhesive sticker on a copy of the “FAVN REPORT FORM” submitted with the sample – this is the official FAVN report. The original “FAVN REPORT FORM” submitted with the sample is retained on file at The Kansas State University Rabies Laboratory.

Frequently Asked Questions

Location- Specific Travel Resources

Hawaii Requirements for Importing Cats and Dogs

Destination Country Requirements for Importing Animals

For exporting an animal from the United States of America please contact the USDA APHIS (United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) Area Offices for questions or concerns regarding regulations for exporting animals to a foreign country. You should contact the APHIS-VS Area Office in the State from which the animals will be exported.

European Union Regulations for importing animals

DEFRA (Department of Environmental & Rural Affairs) for importing animals to the United Kingdom