KSVDL Recommends Copan Eswab™ For Transporting Bacterial Culture Samples
Bacterial culture/susceptibility is an important part of diagnosing and managing various infectious diseases in veterinary medicine.
Collection and shipping of culture specimens are routine diagnostic practices. There are numerous commercial diagnostic collection and transport systems available to choose from.
While many of these systems are adequate, KSVDL recommends using the Copan Eswab™ for transport of bacterial culture samples.
- It is a multipurpose collection and transport system that maintains viability of aerobic, anaerobic and fastidious bacteria for up to 48 hours at 4°C
- Contains 1 mL of modified Liquid Amies; extracts the entire sample into the medium; therefore, multiple tests can be completed on the same specimen
- Aerobic Culture
- Anaerobic Culture
- Clinical Pathology Evaluation
- Fungal Culture
- PCR Testing
- Virus Isolation
- Is similar in cost to other culturette swabs but only a single swab needs to be submitted
- The liquid medium is also suitable for transport of biopsy or small tissue samples for culture submission
- Provides a more consistent, greater release of microorganism compared to standard rayon swabs
More information on the Copan Eswab™ can be found at
The Copan Eswab™ can be purchased through KSVDL.
For more information please contact KSVDL Client Care at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 866-512-5650.